20% Shrink Tape
For orders placed before 2:30PM EST
Create mechanical pressure without vacuum
Shrink Tape is a polyester compaction film used to wrap laminates and create mechanical pressure during cure. Unlike vacuum bagging, this tape creates pressure by way of heat, rather than vacuum. When heated, it shrinks up to 20%, compacting (or squeezing) the composite within, eliminating excess resin and air. As a result, parts feature a better fiber-to-resin ratio and improved physical properties.
Shrink Tape is often used instead of vacuum bagging to create or repair parts where shape or size makes the bagging process too labor intensive. This is often the case with tubing, composite cylinders, and large tanks.
- Shrink Tape is called tape due to its appearance only. It has no adhesive backing.
- Tape can be secured with pressure-sensitive tape, like our Flash Tape (#584).
- Shrink Tape completes shrink within 20 minutes.
- It is release-coated for easy removal after cure; simply grab the end and unwrap.
- It withstands cure cycle up to 400°F.
Film thickness is 0.0018"; total roll length is 100 yards.