Fibre Glast makes a unique reinforcement offering with the Carbon/KEVLAR® Hybrid. This First Quality hybrid fabric combines all the advantages of carbon fiber and KEVLAR® to deliver a product that boasts a high strength-to-weight ratio and dimensional stability, in addition to a remarkable impact, abrasion and fatigue resistance.
The colorful, eye-catching twill weave makes this hybrid an ideal choice for a surface layer, used alone or backed with another layer of reinforcement to create a maximum balance of properties. 3K carbon makes up the warp and 1500 Denier KEVLAR® fibers are woven to make up the fill.
Click on the selected styles below for more detailed information and pricing.
KEVLAR® and Hybrid Sample PackA Colorful Kevlar® Sample–includes Carbon HybridsThis convenient Sample Pack contains 4" x 6" swatches of all of our KEVLAR ® and Hybrid fabrics. It is ...
All three of our Carbon/KEVLAR® hybrids are identical in performance, and only vary by color. While many variations of KEVLAR® exist, Fibre Glast offerings incorporate KEVLAR® 49, specifically designed to produce hard laminate parts for composites. None of our hybrids should be considered for flexible, or soft, applications. Each can be used with epoxy, vinyl ester, or polyester resin.
Carbon aramid hybrid fabrics are fabrics that combine carbon fiber and aramid fiber materials in a single textile structure. In support of our commitment to First Quality we carry Carbon/KEVLAR® Hybrids. These hybrid fabrics leverage the unique properties of both carbon fiber and KEVLAR® fiber to achieve a balance of strength, stiffness, and impact resistance. Here are some key aspects of carbon aramid hybrid fabrics:
- Strength and Stiffness: Carbon fiber is known for its exceptional strength and stiffness, providing high-performance characteristics to the hybrid fabric. It offers excellent tensile strength, rigidity, and resistance to deformation under load. Aramid fiber, such as the First Quality KEVLAR® brand we supply, also contributes to the overall strength of the hybrid fabric, providing good impact resistance and energy absorption properties.
- Lightweight: Both carbon fiber and KEVLAR® fiber are lightweight materials, making carbon KEVLAR® hybrid fabrics ideal for applications that require high strength and stiffness while keeping weight to a minimum. The combination of these fibers results in a fabric that offers improved strength-to-weight ratio compared to using either material alone.
- Impact Resistance: KEVLAR® fibers have excellent impact resistance and are known for their ability to absorb energy. When combined with carbon fibers in a hybrid fabric, they enhance the impact resistance of the composite. This makes carbon aramid hybrid fabrics suitable for applications that require both high strength and resistance to impact or dynamic loads, such as sports equipment, automotive parts, and protective gear.
- Vibration Damping: KEVLAR® fibers have inherent damping properties, which can help reduce vibration and dampen resonant frequencies in the composite structure. The addition of aramid fibers in a hybrid fabric can contribute to improved vibration damping characteristics, making it beneficial for applications that require vibration control, such as aerospace or industrial equipment.
- Design Flexibility: Carbon aramid hybrid fabrics offer design flexibility due to their tailored properties. By varying the arrangement, orientation, or combination of carbon and aramid fibers, the fabric can be customized to meet specific performance requirements. This allows for the optimization of mechanical properties based on the desired application.
- Applications: Carbon/KEVLAR® hybrid fabrics find applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, sports and recreation, marine, and defense. They are used in the manufacturing of high-performance components, such as structural parts, body panels, sporting goods, racing equipment, and protective gear.
It is important to note that the specific properties and performance of carbon aramid hybrid fabrics can vary depending on the fiber types, fiber content, fabric architecture, and manufacturing process. The choice of hybrid fabric should be based on the specific requirements of the application and the desired balance of properties, considering factors such as strength, stiffness, impact resistance, weight, and cost.
You can place an order here on the website, or call 1.800.838.8984, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.EST, Monday through Friday, with questions.
KEVLAR® fabric is made with genuine DuPont™ KEVAR® fiber. DuPont™ and KEVLAR® are registered trademarks of E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company and are used with permission.