Polyester resins are commonly used in the composites industry as a matrix material for fiber-reinforced plastics. These resins are relatively inexpensive and easy to process, making them a popular choice for a wide range of applications, including boat building, automotive parts, and construction materials. They can also be used in the making of solid surface materials and laminates, and for coating and finishing applications. The resins are typically combined with fibers such as glass, carbon, or aramid to create strong, lightweight, and durable composite materials.
Polyester resins can be used to make a variety of products, including:
- Fiberglass reinforced plastics (FRP) - commonly used in boat building, tanks, pipes, and other structures.
- Automotive parts - such as body panels, spoilers, and other exterior parts.
- Construction materials - including roofing, siding, and window frames.
- Solid surface materials - used for countertops, sinks, and shower pans.
- Laminates - used for flooring, wall coverings, and furniture.
- Coating and finishing - for wood, metal, and other surfaces.
- Artistic and Industrial Design - for sculpture and other artistic expression, and for industrial molds and prototypes.
- Adhesive and sealant - for bonding and sealing different types of materials.
These are some of the common uses of polyester resins but there are many others as well, depending on the specific properties of the resin and the application.
Premium polyester gel coats deliver superior cosmetics and durability for parts and molds.
Polyester gel coats are a type of polyester resin that are commonly used as a surface coating in the composites industry. The strengths of polyester gel coat include:
- Durability: Gel coats are extremely durable and resistant to UV light and weathering, which makes them suitable for outdoor applications.
- Chemical resistance: Gel coats have good resistance to a wide range of chemicals, including acids, alkalis, and solvents.
- Aesthetics: Gel coats can be pigmented to create a wide range of colors and finishes, and they can be polished to a high gloss.
- Good mechanical properties: Gel coats have good impact resistance, which makes them suitable for applications where the surface may be subject to impacts.
- Easy to apply: Gel coats are easy to apply and can be sprayed, brushed or rolled on the surface.
- Cost-effective: Polyester gel coats are relatively inexpensive compared to other coating options, making them an affordable option for many applications.
- Versatile: Polyester gel coats can be used in different types of composite products such as boats, tanks, pipes, and other structures, solid surface materials, laminates, and many other applications
- Good adhesion: Gel coats have good adhesion to the substrate, which helps to keep the composite structure together.
Choose from traditional gel coats such as white, neutral, and clear, as well as orange or black tooling gel coats. All of our gel coats resist UV degradation and water absorption. To learn more about gel coat please visit our Learning Center articles "Gel Coat Application Guide" and "Gel Coat Troubleshooting Guide".
Shop our selection of polyester resins, gel coats, spray guns, and supplies below!
Low Emissions White Gel CoatDurable, Long Lasting Low Emissions Gel Coat#683 White Gel Coat is a highly durable Low-Emissions ISO gel coat and is the industry production standard for...
Low Emissions Neutral Gel CoatSuperior Color Quality in a Low Emissions Formula#685 Low Emissions Neutral Gel Coat is a high performance, premium quality ISO gel coat formulated specifically for...
General Purpose Laminating ResinGeneral Purpose resin for hand lay-up or spray-up applications#78 General Purpose Laminating Resin is ideal for part fabrication and for building low cost molds. It is designed...
Isophthalic Polyester ResinBuild Strength and Stability for Tough Parts#90 Isopthalic Polyester is perfect for fabricating dimensionally stable polyester molds and corrosive service...
Clear Gel CoatGet a Crystal-Clear, High-Gloss, Protective Finish#180 Clear Gel Coat is a high performance, premium quality gel coat for both airless and air atomized spray...
Orange Tooling Gel CoatHigh Gloss and Superior Hardness for MoldsTooling Gel Coat is an abrasion resistant gel coat used for fabricating molds when gloss retention, superior...
Black Tooling Gel CoatBuild Lasting Durability for MoldsTooling Gel Coat is an abrasion resistant gel coat for making molds where gloss retention, superior hardness,...
MEKP HardenerIndustry Standard CatalystMEKP (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide) is a catalyst used in the composites industry for polyester and vinyl ester...
#77 Polyester Molding Resin is a wax-free, general purpose fiberglass resin. This resin is a great choice for building low-cost molds, or for general fiberglass part fabrication. #90 Isophthalic Polyester Resin is a durable, dimensionally stable, corrosion resistant resin. The 225°F service temperature and low shrinkage properties of this resin are ideal for making dimensionally stable molds and extremely durable parts.
Want to learn more about Polyester Resins? Fibre Glast has a free Learning Center with helpful white papers, including: About Resins, Mold Construction, Molding Fiberglass, and Fundamentals of Fiberglass. You can also compare Polyester Resin with Epoxy Resin and Vinyl Ester Resin in the Fibre Glast blog article, Choosing the Right Resin.
Proper gel coat application can be a challenge for professionals and is probably the most common problem area for those new to composite work. Save yourself some wasted time and material. Before starting your gel coat project, read through the Gel Coat Troubleshooting Guide in our free online Learning Center, to learn the common problems to avoid.
You can place your order right here on our website or, if you have any questions, call 1.800.838.8984 | 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET Mon-Fri.